Thursday, February 23, 2012

Book Review: The One That I Want by Jennifer Echols

The One That I Want 
By Jennifer Echols
Release Date: February 7, 2012
Summary: Gemma can’t believe her luck when the star football player starts flirting with her. Max is totally swoon-worthy, and even gets her quirky sense of humor. So when he asks out her so-called best friend Addison, Gemma’s heartbroken. 

Then Addison pressures Gemma to join the date with one of Max’s friends. But the more time they all spend together, the harder Gemma falls for Max. She can’t help thinking that Max likes her back—it’s just too bad he’s already dating Addison. How can Gemma get the guy she wants without going after her best friend’s boyfriend?


Review: Every time I read a new Jennifer Echols book, I go in knowing it's going to be a five star because I love everything she writes. I was very shocked when people were not impressed with this book on on goodreads, so I decided to go into this book totally indifferent, as if I were reading from a brand new author. And you know what? I still loved it! No matter what I do, I can't help but fall in love with every story Jennifer Echols writes! 

Gemma was such a great protagonist. First off, I love her name. Secondly, she was so relatable! She had lost over 50 pounds and was still getting used to not being so self-conscious about her weight. On top of that, she is dealing with being a majorette for her school band and having a selfish best friend. From the first page I couldn't help but root for Gemma and hate Addison for being such a bad person towards her. But Gemma was so used to being permissive when it came to Addison that she couldn't really do anything but deal with it. And then when Max came into the picture, I wanted to take Addison and kick her off to Timbuktu where she couldn't ruin anything else for Gemma! 

Max was SO cute! He may have been the kicker for Gemma's rival school, but he had no problem making Gemma feel like life was perfect and nothing else really mattered. Of course, there is a ton of drama and times I wanted to smack Max for being so stupid, but I would never have been able to blemish his adorable face (at least it was adorable according to Gemma)! 

Though the story was slightly predictable, I loved every second of it! The story was sweet and the romance was even sweeter. Pick The One That I Want up now if you feel like escaping into a cute, relatable book that leaves you with a smile on your face.




2 comments:

  1. I've never read a Jennifer Echols book! **Ducks Flying tomatoes**

    This sounds like it would be the perfect place to start, Gemma sounds like my ideal protagonist!

    Thanks for the great review, I look forward to reading this one!

    -Jac @ For Love and Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to pick up this book! I love all Jennifer Echols books even a story that sounds as cliche as this. I know I will love it nonetheless because, first, you say Gemma kicked ass, second, you mentioned how hot Max is. Third, Addison is a bad friend. What could go wrong? Love your review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...