Thursday, June 18, 2015

Book Review: One Tiny Lie by KA Tucker

One Tiny Lie (Ten Tiny Breaths #2)
By KA Tucker
Release Date: June 14, 2014
Source: Own Copy 
Summary: Livie has always been the stable one of the two Cleary sisters, handling her parents' tragic death and Kacey's self-destructive phase with strength and maturity. But underneath that exterior is a little girl hanging onto the last words her father ever spoke to her. “Make me proud,” he had said. She promised she would...and she’s done her best over the past seven years with every choice, with every word, with every action.

Livie walks into Princeton with a solid plan, and she’s dead set on delivering on it: Rock her classes, set herself up for medical school, and meet a good, respectable guy that she’s going to someday marry. What isn’t part of her plan are Jell-O shots, a lovable, party animal roommate she can’t say ‘no’ to, and Ashton, the gorgeous captain of the men’s rowing team. Definitely him. He’s an arrogant ass who makes Livie’s usually non-existent temper flare and everything she doesn’t want in a guy. Worse, he’s best friends and roommates with Connor, who happens to fits Livie’s criteria perfectly. So why does she keep thinking about Ashton?

As Livie finds herself facing mediocre grades, career aspirations she no longer thinks she can handle, and feelings for Ashton that she shouldn’t have, she’s forced to let go of her last promise to her father and, with it, the only identity that she knows.

Review: After reading Ten Tiny Breaths last summer, I fell in love with KA Tucker's storytelling and the intense emotions she brings to her characters. I couldn't wait to read Livie's story and watch her find her own happily ever after as well. 

Ever since her parents died, Livie has lived her life determined to make her father proud. She worked hard throughout school and finally got into Princeton where she could study and then go to medical school. What she doesn't expect, though, is one crazy night out with her sister to introduce her to Ashton, the captain of the men's rowing team who also happens to be quite notorious with the ladies. Ashton is the last person Livie wants to be attracted to, especially when she kind of sort of starts seeing Ashton's best friend, Connor, who is someone who should be perfect for her. Livie is forced to face the reality of what she really wants out of life and decide who she wants to live her life for. 

Oh boy. I loved Kacey's story in the first book, but Kacey is so different from Livie, so I wasn't sure how much I would like Livie. I'm happy to say that I ended up loving Livie's story and connecting with her just as much as I connected with Kacey. Livie is a good girl who has pretty much no experience when it comes to guys. I loved how her first male interaction in college was with Ashton and how she couldn't get him out of her head. Ashton is definitely someone you should NOT fall for because of his reputation and background. There's such intense chemistry between Livie and Ashton, though, that you can't help but root for them to get together. Sure, Connor was cute and seemed like the "perfect" fit for Livie's life, but sometimes what seems perfect isn't actually perfect for you. 

Ashton was definitely yummy and one of my favorite parts of this book, but I also loved Livie's roommate Reagan and her relationship with another guy on the rowing team. Kacey made some appearances, which I loved, but Livie was living on her own and had to try and handle the world without her big sister. While I wasn't a huge fan of how Livie completely changed in college when it came to partying and drinking, I enjoyed watching Livie change and discover more about herself and what she wants out of life. There were definitely jaw dropping moments when it came to her and Ashton's relationship and secrets he was keeping, which made me freak out and furiously turn the pages to figure out what would happen next. I just couldn't put this book down! 

It comes to no surprise that I loved this second book in KA Tucker's Ten Tiny Breaths series. I absolutely loved Livie's character and how she fell for the last guy she wanted to fall for. The emotions were raw and the characters were challenged to take a good look at what they wanted in life. I am already dying to read Four Seconds to Lose so that I can lose myself in yet another fantastic story from KA Tucker.


1 comment:

  1. I didn't really like the first book, basically because of Trent, but I loved the writing the story! I have been on the fence on whether or not to read this one, but this review as convinced me. Hopefully I'll like it as much as you :D
    Great Review =D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...