Friday, August 14, 2015

Book Review: Under the Lights by Shannon Stacey

Under the Lights (Boys of Fall #1)
By Shannon Stacey
Release Date: May 26, 2015
Source: Publisher
They were the golden boys of fall: Stewart Mills High School’s legendary championship winning football team. Fourteen years later, they’re back to relive their glory, save the team—and find themselves again…

Chase Sanders’s life has taken a lot of crazy turns lately. But returning to his hometown to help his old coach keep his high school football team afloat might be the craziest thing to happen to him yet. That is, until he starts falling for the last person he should—Coach’s gorgeous daughter…

Kelly McDonnell learned the hard way that cocky, charming men are nothing but trouble, so she knows Chase is bad news. Still, she can’t resist his smile—or the rest of him. But when his loyalty to her father conflicts with their growing attraction, any hope for a relationship might be blocked before it can even begin…


There were two main reasons why I picked up this book: Romance and Football. How could I resist a book that promised my two favorite elements of a book?? 

Chase Sander's life is nowhere close to where he wanted it to be, especially now that his business just went under. So when the chance to go home to help out his old football coach save the high school football team comes up, he finds himself going back home and running straight into the coach's daughter. Kelly McDonnell has always had a crush on Chase, but he never paid attention to her in high school. Now she's a police officer and taking the reigns on the project to save her dad's football team. She knows Chase is coming back home to help out, but the last thing she expects is for him to pay attention to the coach's daughter…

This book sounded SO CUTE, but as I was reading it, I just didn't get the story I was hoping for. First, there was barely any actual football playing. This one had more to do with the grown men coming back and being horrible at football, but doing their best to raise money to save the high school's team. So this wasn't exactly a "sports" romance, but more of just a small town romance. The story was cute enough, but I found myself wanting more from the characters. Of course, Chase doesn't want to date "the coach's daughter" even though he's not playing for her dad and hasn't in years. I don't know, I just wanted more passion and a more entertaining story than we got. 

I liked Kelly's character and how she was doing everything she could to save her dad's team. The different events they had to raise money were fun and I enjoyed her friends, but there was still something that fell a bit flat for me. I couldn't really feel the heat between Kelly and Chase and I found myself more interested in the fundraising than in their relationship. 

While I had high hopes for this romance, it wasn't my favorite from Shannon Stacey. I enjoyed her writing and the cute small town she created, but I wanted a better romance than what we got in this story. If you're looking for a sports romance, you won't find it in this one. If you want a cute, feel good story, you may want to give this one a try.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...