Monday, October 10, 2016

Book Review: This Adventure Ends by Emma Mills

This Adventure Ends
By Emma Mills
Release Date: October 4, 2016
Source: ALA
Sloane isn't expecting to fall in with a group of friends when she moves from New York to Florida—especially not a group of friends so intense, so in love, so all-consuming. Yet that's exactly what happens.

Sloane becomes closest to Vera, a social-media star who lights up any room, and Gabe, Vera's twin brother and the most serious person Sloane's ever met. When a beloved painting by the twins' late mother goes missing, Sloane takes on the responsibility of tracking it down, a journey that takes her across state lines—and ever deeper into the twins' lives.

Filled with intense and important friendships, a wonderful warts-and-all family, shiveringly good romantic developments, and sharp, witty dialogue, this story is about finding the people you never knew you needed.




When I saw that Emma Mills had a new YA contemporary coming out, I was beyond excited. I adored First and Then and was in the mood for another cute contemporary with characters I couldn't help but fall in love with. 

After moving to Florida so that her dad could feel "inspired" to write his next book, Sloane doesn't expect her new school to be any different from her old one. And the last thing she expects is to make any real friends. But the moment Sloane finds herself wrapped up with Vera, a social-media guru who loves fiercely and protectively, Sloane discovers what it's like to have true friends and has to learn how to give more of herself than she ever has before. 

Wow, this book. I've got to say, the winner for me in this book was definitely the friendships. I mean, the romance was awesome and I loved it, but the main focus of this book was Sloane finally having true friends who would give anything for each other. I loved watching Sloane open up to Vera and Gabe and finding herself actually caring about other people outside of her own family. Vera was such a vibrant character and I wanted to climb in the book and have her as my own best friend. 

The romance in this book was not exactly the main focus of the story, but it was still a major part of Sloan's life and I was obsessed with the slow build of the romance. She didn't really know what she was feeling for Gabe and it was so adorable watching them slowly realize that they actually did like each other. Along with the friendship and romance, I also loved the family relationships. Sloane had such an interesting relationship with her father and I loved how important he was to the story. Too often parents are absent from YA books but Sloane's dad was a huge part of her life. 

If you can't tell, I loved this book. It had authentic relationships and unique, lively characters who really brought out the best in each other. Real lessons were learned about love and friendship in This Adventure Ends and I think every YA contemporary fan needs to read it!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...